Thursday, November 6, 2008

Don't Miss It!


[to the left is a photo of Martin Luther King, Jr. being arrested for "loitering"]

I've heard so many Christians remark on the outcome of the election with a concern about how Barak Obama's administration will affect the abortion issue/economy/war. I truly understand the concern but I would like to go on to say DON'T MISS WHAT'S HAPPENING HERE!!!

I watched Barak's acceptance speech with incredible joy and excitement(McCain's speech was just as heart-wrenching and great!). History in the making!

I watched the Reverend Jesse Jackson weep. I wondered what was going on in his mind and heart. I don't care what anyone says about Jesse Jackson because this is a man who watched his inspiration and mentor get gunned down some 40 years ago. Jesse Jackson watched Martin Luther King, Jr. give his life in the name of love.

I dropped a tear or two when I saw an African-American family that's headed for the White House walk out on that stage in Grant Park, downtown Chicago.

They stated that the issue of race wasn't part of this election but it certainly came to the surface when the nation clearly chose it's next president and a ripple of emotion most certainly made it's way across a nation that has hundreds of years of hurt and immense suffering to still heal from.

Did you watch the exuberance and emotional responses of the African-American communities? Or did you miss it?

Did you set down your political stance and stop to think for just a second that something as powerful as the abolishment of slavery took place on Tuesday evening, November 4, 2008?

When I was in high school I was part of a U.S. History team that ended up being involved in a nation wide competition involving the history and knowledge of the Constitution, the Amendments and the Declaration of Independence. Each of us was responsible for a certain section and for the investigating of it.

My specific assignment was to be able to answer the value of a black man as a voter after slavery was abolished and when free black men could vote. Their value was 1/5 of a vote. They were worth 1/5 of what a white man was worth.

We went to the Supreme Court of Ohio to compete. No one knew when you would be called up to answer your part before the Supreme Court Justices. I remember so well when it was my turn to speak. At that time it was 1987. I remember that moment because the Supreme Court Justice that I had to face was black. I remember I had to explain to a black Supreme Court Justice, as I stood in his court a young white Catholic male, the reasoning behind the 1/5 voter value of a black man. It was perhaps one of the most humbling experiences of my life because I cannot comprehend what it is like to be devalued because of skin color and that is it.

Seriously stand back and look at the scope and magnificence of this. An African American is going to be the next President. An African American family will occupy the White House in our lifetime. After hundreds of years of opposition, dehumanization, and devaluing we now witness great hope in the healing of immense racial divisions around the world.

So be encouraged that after 400 years of Africans clinging on to the right to be seen as equal they now give to a nation in need through the highest office available. If after 400 years of fighting opposition through sacrifice after sacrifice has proven change is most certainly possible and injustices are not inevitable then perhaps the Christian church of the United States will begin to realize that after 35 years of fighting against legal abortions they should take some lessons on how to stand up for what is right instead of expecting it to change by just voting every 4 years and expecting one person to handle the grunt work.

A great day has come and if you are white and can only see this as an economic issue or an abortion issue then my friend I would ask "how much of your political view have you shared with the African American community face-to-face and not just with your white friends via the internet?"

A great day has come. Don't miss it.

5 comments:

that girl said...

It did give me a good feeling seeing it happen and hearing friends and coworkers discussing it all over. Whether it's my coworker who took his 80-year-old father who was a Tuskegee airman to vote, or the kids on the bus saying "Wow! This means even I could be president!" it's a wild thing.

The thing I keep hearing is "It still doesn't feel real. I can't believe it's actually happened!"

It has dispelled some of my cynicism too that you generally had to be WASP to get that far, that no one with a name that didn't sound that way would ever occupy the White House, especially post 9/11.

Still, this post reminds me of a conversation I had with a good friend and adopted brother of mine last night who grew up in one of Cleveland's worst neighborhoods and whose future in-laws hate him based only on the color of his skin and the nerve he has to date a white girl.

He told me that even though he'd love to have an African-American president, he sees abortion the way Jesse Jackson once did, as genocide for his people.

This is what he pointed me to:

Between 1882 and 1968, 3,446 Blacks were lynched in the U.S. That number is surpassed in less than 3 days by abortion.

1,452 African-American children are killed each day by the heinous act of abortion.

3 out of 5 pregnant African-American women will abort their child.

Since 1973 there has been over 13 million Black children killed and their precious mothers victimized by the U.S. abortion industry.

I love what you're having to say, Scott and I'm sorry this comment is super-long.

I'm just sharing what I've learned from the face-to-face conversations I've been having every day about these things where there's just as much discussion of reconciliation as there is of the devastation in these communities.

Anonymous said...

I think it's a bit ignorant to post these "facts" without looking at the bigger picture, not to mention the millions of African Americans who died on the Middle Passage alone. Comparing the US slavery time period to abortion in the US is intolerable. The problem with the abortions in the black communities in the US has much more to do with poverty and economic problems in the urban areas than with simply abortion. Our country has many current problems, but to look at abortion without first attempting to discover the cause and reasons behind it, will only continue to perpetuate the "problem."

Scott Budzar said...

Anonymous - I'd have to say that it isn't a matter of ignorance because that's meant for arguments and poorly thought out constructive conversation and learning.

This is a place to hopefully "fit" the puzzle pieces as we move along. Gain wisdom from other perspectives and be humbled by what others can bring to the table.

Your injection of the Middle Passage alone is indeed sobering and should cause use to stand still and take a look at the bigger picture. Great input there.

Mike said...

It's very interesting to read this after the inauguration. I can almost feel, tangibly, that the moment you are describing has passed. Not passed as in complete. Passed in the same way that saying your marriage vows passes.

I kinda wish you hadn't mentioned abortion. Here in Oklahoma, among the evangelicals, it's a huge touch-button issue. They have billboards about it down here. I have multiple problems with the Christian evangelical stance on the "issue" and I've developed my own self-righteous response to that stance. For me, just the mentioning of that topic related to Christianity sets me on a bitter, self-righteous tailspin, which is so antithetical to the point of your post. I guess that's an interesting juxtaposition, actually.

I was nervous, all but expecting, actually, for someone to try to assassinate Barack before he took office. It was *nerve-racking* watching the clips of his speech in Grant Park, even after the fact, because I just couldn't get the thought of how exposed he was out of my mind. I'm *very* relieved he was inaugurated with no threats to his own safety, because now we can say an African-American has become President. Even if the worst happens now, the hope will remain.

Good to read this. Here in Oklahoma, I never heard anything mentioned about Obama's skin color or race or heritage apart from watching TV. In the whole of NW Oklahoma, they are only a mere handful of African-Americans. It meant nothing to the majority of the population down here. But I know it means something to people close to you, so it's helpful to read your thoughts.

Cheers.

Scott Budzar said...

Thanks Mike for being honest and sharing and most of all for giving up your time to read my opinion. It's humbling to knw folks are interested and it's good to hear your thoughts.

I hope to lend hope and I definitely share your same thoughts on the abortion part. I cringed when I mentioned it myself but it's quite difficult to avoid or just approach.

So, thanks man. Peace and be.